We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Finding healthy treats for the usual food we grow up with has been difficult. The pains in my gut normally tell me after I have eaten it if it was good for me or not. I have even had cramps that last for days, so I am careful now what I eat and reading each ingredient.
As I love cinnamon rolls, I stopped having them when I was highly intolerant to dairy and egg and went vegan. Occasionally I would see a vegan one somewhere in a cafe and would get it as a treat, but my tummy still didn’t agree with the sugar content and even gluten.
When I saw Dr Gundry had a lectin free bread mix with an optional cinnamon roll recipe that could also be made vegan, I was very excited and had to try it. I have learned with each new batch I have made with what works best and what doesn’t. Since switching to Monkfruit sweetener (Lakanto) as well, my tummy has been a lot happier. So the fact that these are made with that instead of sugar is awesome too! Especially with the icing as well and it’s all so easy to make.
This is the video explanation of me making the Healthy Cinnamon Rolls Vegan and Lectin Free using ingredients below:
- 1 bag Gundry MD Bread Mix
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of ground Flaxseed
- 1 cup water + 1/2 cup extra for Flaxseed mix = 1.5 cups water
- Cinnamon sprinkled generously
- 1/3 cup Monkfruit sweetener (Lakanto)
- Optional ground cardamom included with the sprinkled cinnamon
- Coconut oil for greasing pan
- Lakanto Icing Mixture 1/3 cup or more
- 3 – 5 tablespoons of coconut milk (I used 3)
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil
In a medium sized bowl stir together:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup egg whites (227g approx 6 large)
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
VEGAN OPTION: Omit eggs, add 3 tablespoons flax seeds/flaxseed mix and increase water by 1/2 cup.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit (about 180 – 200 degrees celsius)
- Empty contents of Gundry MD Bread Mix package into the liquid and whisk slowly, then briskly as the batter thickens. Allow to rest for 1 minute.
- After resting, use clean hands to gently knead and squeeze the dough for 1 1/2 minutes. The dough will tighten up and become a bit sticky.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CINNAMON ROLLS (as per Gundry MD Bread Mix):
- Spray or butter a 9″ x 12″ baking pan (I use coconut oil again)
- Turn dough onto parchment paper or baking liner and pat dough into a rectangle shape about 8″ x 13″. It should be about 1/2 inch thick.
- Spread dough with 1/2 cup soft European butter (or I used Nutiva vegan butter, purchased from iHerb (or its on Amazon as well), and organic coconut butter both spread generously as I didn’t measure). Sprinkle with 1/3 cup monkfruit sweetener. Sprinkle with cinnamon generously.
- Lift the edge of the parchment paper closest to you and start to roll the dough lengthwise, fairly tight.
- Once in a log shape, use a sharp knife to cut into 10-13 sections. Place each roll into prepared pan.
- Bake on the center rack of your oven for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- If desired, drizzle with a little coconut milk before serving and spread on top while still warm. I prefer to add the Icing mixture noted above and in the video.
To purchase other ingredients at one of the cheapest prices, I highly recommend iHerb. I use them regularly and they stock a lot of healthy pantry essentials at the cheapest prices. They also offer FREE shipping on orders over $80 and they offer 26% off for your first order with them. Just use the code at checkout “26NEW” to get the discount. Go to the iherb website here: